Sunday, September 10, 2017

Encore ... A Rainbow After the Storm by Sunshine1220


A Rainbow After the Storm
by Sunshine1220
We knew it would either make us or break us. When the unthinkable happens, will it bring us closer together or tear us apart? A story about losing what's held most dear, and finding out just how strong you really are.  A true to life, personal story about the loss and heartache of a stillbirth.

**********



We knew it would either make us or break us. When the unthinkable happens, will it bring us closer together or tear us apart? A story about losing what's held most dear, and finding out just how strong you really are.  A true to life, personal story about the loss and heartache of a stillbirth.

**********

Monday, September 24, 2001

"Hey, what's wrong, Bella?" Edward asks over the phone.

"I'm gonna go back in and see Kate.  The baby isn't moving like she should," I say just a little panicked.  "I'm going to drop Jake off with Rose and head over to her office.  Hopefully, I'll be back by lunchtime, and I can call you again.  John was okay with you taking a break to call me back?"

"Yeah, honey, don't worry about that.  Just call me when you find out what's going on.  I wish I could go with you."

"No, it's okay.  I just can't wait until you get home.  Something isn't right, and I need to go now.  I'll be okay," I say, trying to reassure myself more than him.

"Please, just... Just call the minute you know something, all right?"

"Yeah, all right."

"Love you, baby."

"I love you too, Edward."

Driving to drop Jake off at Rose's I feel like I'm on autopilot.  Leaving him, I almost feel guilty, barely giving him a kiss before I run back out the door.  On the drive to Kate's office, I start to question myself.  I just know the moment I sit in the waiting room, I'll feel a nudge or a kick.  Then I’ll feel like an absolute fool for driving all this way. I've already bothered them so much lately with my unfounded worries. Passing a Taco Bell, I think of grabbing some food, or even the caffeinated soda I've denied myself my entire pregnancy, just to elicit a kick or two from my baby.

Signing in, I don't even have time to find a seat before Kate's nurse calls me back.

"So, when you called, you said that you had decreased movement?" she asks as she leads me into the exam room.  I notice we've bypassed the usual scales, and went right to the room.

"Um, yeah."  My hands start to sweat, and my heart starts to beat a little faster when I see the concerned look on her face.

"Well, I'm gonna have Kate come on in here, and we'll see what's going on, okay?"

"Okay."

Less than a minute passes when Kate comes in, a worried smile on her face.  "So, you haven't felt any movement this morning?"

"No."

She busies herself with getting the Doppler ready.  "So, when did you last feel anything?" She squirts the gel onto my belly and flicks on the machine.

"Um, last night," I say with a quiver in my voice.

"Okay," she whispers. I can see the furrow of her brow as she listens to the swooshes and beat of my heart, but not finding my daughter's.  "All right, I'm going to drag the ultrasound machine in here, because this isn't finding anything.  I'll be right back."  She hurries out of the room, leaving me to my rising anxiety.

After the door closes, but doesn't latch, I hear her talking with her nurse.  "I need Dr. Baker in here."

"What's wrong? Is the Doppler not working?   Do you want me to-?"

"No, I can't find the heartbeat!" she says in a loud whisper.  "Just get me Dr. Baker!"

Posting begins on September 25th.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6671637/Sunshine1220

2 comments:

  1. How scary. It sounds like this one will be a bumpy ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reliving this will be difficult, but getting to read your thoughts and feelings as well as my brothers will probably bring us closer as a family. Thank you for being brave enough to share this very personal moment. I look forward to taking this ride with you. ((Hugs from the lil Bro-in-law))

    ReplyDelete

Comments ...