Sunday, September 10, 2017

Overlooked ... Memories From the End by Golden Ground






I’ve been intrigued by this one from the beginning ... it was certainly something different, a fresh plot, at least to me.  

Consistent updates, and little by little we are given glimpses of the relationship between Bella, her mother, and Edward.

Low on reviews ... Let’s help a new writer.  Tell her Pay It Forward sent you.

Thanks,
Fran

Memories From the End
By: GoldenGround
One cold night changes everything between them. Edward pulls Bella from the ice and when the world thaws around them it's nothing like it was before. (Forbidden Love)




Chapter One: The Ice is Getting Thinner
It's been a year today but it feels like yesterday. It was the day that changed everything, the day that ruined everything.

It was early December, as cold as tonight, colder even. Edward and I were riding back from Seattle with the heat cranked up and the music blaring. I'm belting Christmas songs with hands flailing. He's laughing with that crooked smile and shaking his head.

After four years and a long afternoon Christmas shopping he's used to me. He's used to the eccentricities, the quirks that I'm too embarrassed to share with most people.

We're ten minutes from home when it happens. His Volvo's bright lights shine against the slick road, through the flecks of white fluttering from the sky. It's a deer that does it, prancing into the road and knocking down the first domino of many. He doesn't swerve but I feel the car lurch as he hits the breaks and then we're skidding, spinning over the icy asphalt. Screams rip from my throat and I'm clutching the cool leather seat. It feels like time is flashing before my eyes and slowing down all at once. Finally after what feels like years or seconds of spinning and falling there's impact and everything is dark.


Looking back I wish I could change that. Maybe if I hadn't fallen unconscious, things would be different now. If I were alert, maybe I could have saved myself. I could have opened the door or broken the window. I could have swam through the water as it cut through my skin, into my bones, a cold I could never forget, and reached the shore without his help. It would be traumatic, but maybe it wouldn't be life altering.

It didn't happen like that though. I did black out, and he did save me. I don't know firsthand the panic he must have felt, the responsibility for someone's life – my life- lying heavy on his chest. I don't know the time it took to decide an escape route. I don't know how the water felt, impossibly cold and piercing I imagine. I wish I remember all of that, but I don't.


The first thing I recall is his voice sounding so scared and so far away. He's saying my name over and over again, but I can't speak. It starts to move closer, the sounds, and the sensations. It begins with the ice. I feel the chill of it against my back and wrapping around me like an unwanted blanket. Hands are grabbing at my shoulders. They claw at the fabric of my jacket before finding my face with a gentler touch. Everything hurts, and I want to scream. I want to cry and run away from the darkness holding me down.

Instead, I'm trapped, stuck in oblivion and as frozen as the ground around us.

"Bella! Bella! Bella!" My name over and over again and the heartbreaking way he's saying it.


When I finally open my eyes, he's right there in front of me, then and now.

1 comment:

Comments ...